To run an effective organization, strategic planning is a key tool. When well implemented, strategic planning can turn dreams into reality. As such, a good management reporting system is needed to achieve a government’s goals in time. The foundation of strategic execution is a good reporting system.
Not all reporting systems are equal. As such, one needs to ensure that the system has the required key properties which include; it had to be timely, clear, relevant, accessible and able to run automated reports. A management reporting system with the above properties will result in the following benefits.
1. Increased communication. When upper management is sharing the same information with lower management, they can identify problems and come up with solutions. Moreover, the sharing of statistics and progress reports becomes much easier. Having readily available data and constant clear information builds trust in an organization. This also results in long-term relationships and reduces the probability of staff leaving an agency.
2. Improvement of production, accuracy, and timeliness. Cooperation across departments can only be achieved with a good management reporting system. With such cooperation duplication of efforts among team members is reduced. Time is saved since employees don’t work on hundreds of paperwork since most of the data is in the form of automated reports. Since less time is used in compiling loads of data, employees can do other things making them more productive.
3. Improved decision-making and efficiency in an organization. A functional management system enables employees to have a sense of direction since they don’t rely on juts their knowledge or experience but the readily available data. This not only reduces uncertainty but also helps managers to make informed decisions based on reliable data.
4. Improved proactive-ness. A good reporting system acts as a preventative measure. This enables a team to easily identify loopholes and problems and act on them before they snowball into major problems. It also gives room for experimenting with existing alternatives and analyze possible results before making decisions.
5. Cost efficiency. Decreased costs and increased benefits is a major benefit in an organization. Since the data is available, managers are equipped enabling them to respond to changing business environments faster. Cutting the budget is more effective when there is data backing it up.
6. Improved customer focus. Customers have the right to know if their ideas are concerned are being voiced. With reliable data on customer information improving customer service becomes easy to achieve. With the automated reports, generating quarterly and annual reports for customers is easy.